Thursday, August 14, 2014

Strength Training & NSVs

A couple weeks ago, it hit me like a ton of bricks that really need to start strength training.

I was the passenger in the car with Nick, and I waved out the window to someone.  As I'm waving, Nick goes, "Hahaha, look at your arm jiggling in the mirror, it looks funny."  

I glance into the side mirror and to my horror, my "bat wing" is flapping around like I'm about to take flight.  Like flapping so much that I'm pretty sure the air flow created by it helped accelerate the car.

My arms have never really been muscular, but they definitely have never been flabby.  As we age, it gets harder and harder to maintain muscle definition.  The fact that I'm still in my 20's, and have some serious bat winging going on, I know I need to start incorporating strength training into my healthy lifestyle. 

Last year, I started, and stopped, Jamie Eason's LiveFit strength program 3 or 4 times.  

Well, I'm back at it, and this time, I am going to complete all 12 weeks!

This time is different though because I no longer have a gym membership.  Many of the moves are on cable machines, or other weight machines, so I have to do a lot of improvising and modifying at home.

For instance the seated leg extension that looks like this.


This is my at-home attempt.


I'm sitting on the coffee table, weight balanced precariously on my foot, slowly raising it and lowering it for 12 reps, one leg at a time. 

The weight fell of my foot a dozen times, but I just picked it up, re-balanced, and kept going.  This makes the workout take a little bit longer, but hey, I'm doing what I can with what I have. 

So far, I am half way through week 2, and my arms already feel less jiggly.  Before I get too far into the program, I should probably take some before pictures...

On to NSVs

First, I have been doing really well with getting my workouts in.  

When I get home from work, all I really want to do is grab a beer and either sit out on the patio with the dogs and a book, or watch TV.  Instead, I change into workout clothes right away, and I get shit done!  I feel great afterwards, and never regret it. 

Here is my 1.5 mile run from yesterday.  Holy pace on that 2nd half mile!  There is now way I could have maintained that for an entire mile at this point, but I'm still pretty proud :)



Second, I have been following my meal plan almost exactly.  I say almost because I had a little impromptu snack last night after dinner.  Around 8, I was hungry so I had two graham crackers with almond butter.  Probably not the best choice, but better than total junk.

Third, I have had ZERO candy in over 3 days.  I love candy and sweets! Love, love, love.  Standing in the Target check-out lane last night, the candy bars were calling my name, very loudly.  But, I have resisted all temptation, and will continue to do so through the rest of the week. 

Today on the schedule, I have a 2 mile run, legs and calves strength, and 2-3 mile walk with the dogs.

Have a healthy and happy Thursday, and be sure to link up with KTJ to celebrate YOUR non-scale victories!

button

2 comments:

  1. I am starting Jamie Eason's program as soon as I come home from vacation! I am kinda looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow wonderful job there and this has really been a good week for you! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete