Friday, February 28, 2014

A Rough Week

Hello everyone.  Sorry I've been quiet this week, but it's been kind of a shitty one.  

Two of Nick's grandparents are having a rough time.  

His paternal grandmother fell on the ice last weekend and broke her hip.  As you can imagine she's been in a lot of pain, but to make it even worse, she had a heart attack the following day after her fall.  She is doing a lot better now, but looks awful and hurts a lot.  We went to visit her, and even though she was out of it because of pain meds, it really brightened her day to see us.  

Nick's maternal grandfather is also going through some tough stuff.  Doctors found cancer in the tube that connects his kidney to his bladder.  Originally, they thought they would just be able to remove the affected kidney and tube, and that would hopefully be the end.

Unfortunately, this other kidney isn't functioning at 100% on its own so they cannot remove the one near the cancerous mass.

Yesterday, he had an appointment at the UW Hospital to discuss treatment options and the likelihood of starting chemo.  Nick has not yet talked him to hear how the appointment yet, but will be calling him this weekend to get an update.  Nick did go visit those grandparents last weekend when he first heard the news.  Though his grandparents are stressed and a little scared, his grandpa seems ready for whatever the future brings him.

On top of these sad family issues, I have started a new oral contraceptive because I was having issue with the one I was on.  The new one has a higher dose of hormones, which my doctor thinks will help with the past issues, so I have felt like a maniac the last two weeks as my body adjusts.

 I have binged more than a few times this week.  I have eaten more candy this week, than I have eaten in all of 2014 so far.  Yesterday, I had a York Peppermint Patty and then an hour later, I had a Dove bar.  Oh, and don't forget the ice cream I had before bed...that was topped with whipped cream...

Anywho...my goal this week is to just relax, and reset.

Next week is a new week, and it WILL be better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment