Thursday, November 7, 2013

NSV

button

My NSV for the week is that I started running again!  

I am probably starting to sound like a broken record since this is my third post about getting back into running.   I can't help it though!  Running is my favorite type of exercising, but we have a real love-hate relationship.  I do great and follow a training plan for months, run a few races, and then I completely quit for months at a time.  This has been a consistent pattern for three years and now that I have become aware of it, I am going to make an effort to break the cycle. 

 When I'm in my on-running months, I just feel so much better.  I drop weight so my clothes start fitting better.  My mood improves, and I am happier.  I make better food choices.  I just feel healthier when I am running!

As I alluded to yesterday, I took Skittles running with me this morning.  I was going to run last night, but by the time I got off of work, went grocery shopping, cleaned the house, and made and ate dinner, it was almost 9.  I live in an extremely small town, but I still don't like running at night.  I just don't feel safe.   

Despite the fact that is was only 26 degrees this morning, I put on my cold weather gear, put Skittles on a non-flexie leash, and off we went.  I felt badly because Molly really wanted to with, but she's just too old and slow.  She did get to go on the post cool-down walk though!  

Anyway, Skittles was a trooper!  Based on Nick's experience of running with her, and the fact that she doesn't mark or sniff too much on our walks, I thought she was do just fine, but I was still impressed.  She trotted on my right side a little bit ahead of me, but without pulling.  Having Skittles along actually made me run a tiny bit faster because I could tell she wanted to go faster.  I think she'll make a good speed motivator/pacer!  

Once again, I only did a mile.  This morning the Garmin mileage was 1.09. I did the same route as yesterday, but I must have shaved a few corners for it to have the slight difference.  Overall time was 10:16 with the same average of 9:26.  I did cut a whole 2 seconds off the mile time though.  Yesterday, I hit 1 mile at 9:24 and today I hit it at 9:22.  Tiny difference, but still, progress!

And speaking of Non-Scale, I've decided to start No-Weigh November.  I know we're already a week into the month, but for the remainder, it is no more scale for this girl!  I get obsessive with the scale, and I start weighing myself everyday, multiple times a day, which gets frustrating and discouraging!  I said adios to the scale this morning, and I am having Nick take it out of the bathroom and hide it from me so I won't be tempted!

-------------------
20.58/150
1.09 Mile Run - 10:16
.52 Mile Walk with Dogs - 8:48

2 comments:

  1. I have a love hate relationship with running. I can't run out in the cold because it triggers my asthma. I've gotten a few good days in this fall, though. I have recntly fallen in love with cardio boxing/circuit training. It's done amazing things to my body in a month. Getting out there and just doing it is a victory. Who care if you feel like a broken record on your post....you did it and showed up to tell us about it! That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard from a ton of people that kickboxing and such is a blast. I should really look into it! Thanks for stopping by!!

      Delete