Monday, March 24, 2014

Here's to a Better Week!

Last week was off to a great start!  But then on Wednesday, it all went downhill.

I only made it through 3 hours on work on Wednesday before I went home sick with a killer headache.  Currently, I STILL have throbbing remnants of said headache.  I slept away basically the rest of Wednesday, and woke up feeling a little better on Thursday.  It's a busy time at work for me though, so I didn't want to take another sick day.

Being as I could barely move my head without it feeling like it was going to explode, I didn't complete my runs on Wednesday or Thursday.

Friday, I started feeling even worse.  On top of the headache, I started to feel uncomfortably bloated and would get a sharp, searing pain through my stomach.  At first I thought I just had to go to the bathroom, but that didn't help.  Somehow, I made it through the rest of the work day, and then immediately put myself to bed.  The stomach pain would only come every few minutes, but sometimes it hurt enough to make me moan out loud.  This led me to sleeping with another bedroom so I wouldn't bother Nick.

Saturday, I felt a little better.  I didn't feel bloated, but I still had some pain in my stomach.  I met up with my mom Saturday morning to do some shopping and grab lunch.  I explained to her how I was feeling and she thought I was having issues with my gall bladder...she had frequent gall bladder attacks when she was my age, and had hers removed... She wanted to take me to Urgent Care, but after some reading, I didn't think it was necessary.

From reading up on gall bladder attacks, I gleaned that the doctor would just take some scans of my abdomen, prescribe me some pain relievers, and send me on my merry way.  I don't know all the ins and outs of my insurance, but I didn't really want to possibly end up paying out of pocket for the scans, and I already have pain relievers at home.

Now, I am not a doctor, nurse, or expert, but what I got out of my gall bladder research, is that many people experience gall bladder attacks once in their life.  They will have one episode, and it will never happen again.  If it does happen again, it's likely that it will continue happening, and you should look into getting your gall bladder removed.

Since I was hurting all day, my Saturday run didn't happen either.

After suffering through the rest on Saturday with the pain, it finally went away on Sunday.  Only to be replaced with a sour stomach and lots of diarrhea...sorry for the TMI.  So, I spent all of yesterday in bed/near the toilet, pounding liquids so I wouldn't become dehydrated.  I REALLY, REALLY wanted to get in one of my runs, but I would have probably shit myself, so, yeah...didn't happen.

A new week is here, and I finally feel almost normal.  My headache is still lingering, but my bowels are under control, and the stomach pain is gone.  I think I made the right choice in not going to the doctor this weekend, but if those pains ever occur again, I'm getting my butt to see a doc asap!

Moving on to this week, which I am sure will be much better!

Fitnasty for Life

Last week, my only goal was to complete all of my workouts.  Considering I wasn't feeling well the majority of the week, I didn't even come close to completing my goal.

M - Cross Train
T - 3 miles & Strength
W - 5 miles (this is an added run to make up for missing my long run)
R - 4 miles pace & Strength
F - REST
S - 6 miles
S - Stretch & Strength

This week, I am just going to stick with the same goal.  I am running a half marathon in just 9 weeks!  I need to get my runs in!  Here is my training plan for the week:

M - 3 miles & strength
T - 4 miles
W - cross train & strength
R - REST
F - 5 miles
S - cross train & strength
S - 7 miles

Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. Oh no-- what a bummer about that crazy illness but I'm glad you are feeling better! I actually went to the ER last winter with sudden (and very scary) gall bladder pain, but it ended up being nothing at all! It's nothing to mess around with though. Hope you can have a better week and good luck getting your workouts in!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck. It's always good to remember, when you miss a run there are two options - excuses or reasons. I'd say you have some good reasons to miss a few workouts. Glad you're feeling better, hope it stays that way through the week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes! So glad you are on the mend now! This week has to be better!

    ReplyDelete