Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Transformation Tuesday: Meatloaf Edition

Guess who already ran her 2 mile loop in under 20:00 last night?  

That's right, this girl!


If you add just the two miles together, I ran them in 19:38.  A negative split of 30 seconds is pretty awesome.  It's funny though because I felt that I was faster during the first mile, not the second.  I am going to finish out the week running this same loop because I want to make sure last night wasn't a fluke.  For comparison, this was my run on Saturday.


Two miles in 20:33.  I have shaved off almost a minute from one run to another!

Besides talking about running today, I want to share an awesome meatloaf recipe that I whipped up last night.  Meatloaf is a quintessential comfort food, but depending on how, and with what, it is made, it can be a high calorie and fat food.  I made a healthier version last night that turned out phenomenally! 

Stuffed Italian Turkey Loaf

1 lb lean ground turkey
1 medium onion, chopped
1/3 C bread crumbs
1/4 C + 1 T fat free Italian dressing
1 egg
3 T ketchup
1 t Italian seasoning
1/2 C low moisture, part skim mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 400.

Chop onion to desired fineness (Nick and I like onion a lot, so I cut them in dime sized chunks, but you can chop finer, or leave the onion out if desired.)

Mix chopped onion, turkey, bread crumbs, 1/4 C Italian dressing, egg, 2 T ketchup and Italian seasoning in large bowl.  Make sure you mix very well, and all ingredients are well incorporated.  If needed, you may need to get dirty and mix with your hands.

Once that is all mixed really well, dish 3/4 of the mixture into a non-stick, or spray coated, loaf pan.

Make an inch wide/inch deep indentation from one end of the pan to the other.  Fill with the mozzarella cheese, and cover well with the rest of the meat mixture.

Mix remaining 1 T of ketchup and 1 T of Italian dressing.  Spread over top of meatloaf.

Bake for 45 minutes.

The cheese melts down and seeps into the meat a bit, the onion gives it a great crunch, and the Italian dressing gives it a nice zesty flavor.  Nick could not stop raving about it.  I served it with a side of mashed sweet potatoes, and shucked sweet corn.  DELICIOUS!

Not the most appealing picture, but it WAS delicious!

I cut the loaf into 6 slices, each slice an inch to inch and a half thick, and added the ingredients into the MyFitnessPal recipe calculator with each slice as a serving.  According the MFP calculations, each serving has the nutritional value of :

198 calories
11g carbs
9g fats
18g protiens
3g sat fat
412g sodium

Try out my recipe for yourself, and let me know how you like it!



1 comment:

  1. Oh wow! Wonderful job on that run and I LOOOOOOVE meatloaf! I can't tell you the last time I had it. I'm definitely going to try this recipe out though!

    ReplyDelete